Hi I’m Praneeth Kumar.
In this blog we will take a look at whether you should name your blog after yourself or not.
We will also take a look at important things you need to keep in mind while deciding a name for your blog like a few tips and strategies you can use right away to get your blogging journey started faster.
So without further ado let’s get started.
Here is a 30000 Foot view of the blog post.
Should i name my blog after myself?
There is no direct answer to this question which most bloggers have in mind when they are starting with blogging for their online business.
Instead of concluding with a general answer as it depends upon whether you should choose your blog name after yourself of not,
let’s dig Deep and take a look at a couple of advantages and disadvantages of choosing your blog name after yourself and conclude what you should do in what situation.
Advantages of choosing your blog name after yourself:
There are few important advantages or benefits of choosing your blog name after your name and yourself let’s take a look at them in detail.
1. It is a great idea to build a personal brand.
Having your blog and business name as yourself can quite immensely help with building a strong personal brand.
People who know and visit your website on internet and social media will get to know brand and yourself.
They can familiarise with yourself.
You can easily build a common ground and good relationship with your audience by sharing your story and journey with them and turn your blog readers into a community and even clients in future.
Having your blog name as yourself can also help you build expertise and establish credibility with the users and build that trust.
If you personally lack self esteem, confidence and influence then having a blog name after yourself and working on it consistently over a period of time, it can help you build and establish yourself as an influencer in the Industry that you are working in.
A great example for this is,
One of the most important reasons why he has exceeded to become the best digital marketer on the internet is naming his blog after himself and building that personal brand along with the solid content he produces on his website and social media handles.
2. It offers flexibility.
By choosing a blog name after yourself you always have flexibility to switch between different niches for your blog.
For example, if your blog name is your name then you can start a blog about food today and if you consistently work on that blog but you didn’t find any success with it, you can always switch back to anything like fashion and beauty.
There is always a room for switching and flexibility instead of having a blog name something like,
Foodlover or something related to food if you want to start a blog on food.
You can’t easily switch between different niches for your blog because you are confined with the name of the blog and if you want to switch to a different niche with your blog,
you either have to get a new domain and redirect all the previous ones or delete all the blogs you published about food and start new and both of them are scary and time consuming for beginners.
So if you want to try out waters and test different niches for your blog you can try your blog name after yourself where you are not confined or limited to anything.
Along with that by having your blog name on yourself, you are not associated with any particular topic and confined to it but you can write about a lot of things at a single time on your blog and
people can associate with you for sharing different and unique opinion on different subjects rather than confining you to only a particular topical expertise.
3. You can save a lot of time.
If you are thinking about starting a blog then first thing you need to do is to select domain name and name for your website and
I know how it feels like when you sit down to find the right domain name for your blog but it is where you probably spend a lot of time figuring out the so called perfect domain name.
Look, there are approximately 1.7 billion website websites that are there on the internet at present.
When you sit down coming up with the right domain name for your website it might feel like everything is taken like any domain name you search for with your
preferred extension normally a.com one would definitely be taken out and it can be a very frustrating and time-consuming task to find the right domain name for your website.
I understand this because I have been there too when I have started selecting the domain name for my website.
I have spent over 2 days using all the domain name generator tools and coming up with amazing ideas in brainstorming them to name my first blog.
But if you decide to name your blog after yourself then you can save a lot of time in confusion, frustrations and get started on your project faster.
4. It can help your blog stand out.
Another important benefit you have by choosing a blog name after yourself can help you stand out from the competition and give you a different position among the audience because
the audience can relate with you and your blog more easily then they can do with other blogs.
People who visit your blog know very well that you are the person who is handling the blog and you are the person behind writing the blog content and sharing the information with people not a robot or a machine or faceless freelance writer.
The people and the audience can easily get to know the person behind the blog who is handling the blog.
When people know that the blog is handled by a real human being with similar experiences like them it can help build a common ground and good relationship with the audience.
And relationship is the most important thing you need to have with the audience in order to build that personal brand and become an influencer in the industry.
Another important reason is that instead of using generic words that describe your business as the name of the blog,
choosing your name makes your blog unique because your name is unique and nobody has that apart from you.
It can give a little boost to your competitors. It is not all good, there are a few bad things too.
Disadvantages of using your blog name after yourself:
1. It is hard to sell the business.
If you are planning about starting a new website or a blog and growing it to a particular extent and selling it on platforms like flippa, you should probably not use your blog name after yourself.
It takes a lot of time to rebrand a particular blog to a new owner from the old one.
Even if you are involved in the business model of domain flipping which is buying and selling domain names then you should also not consider naming your domain name after yourself.
If any business name has been named with the owner of the business,
it is quite hard to sell that business to other people because essentially that business and personal brand and influence is associated with the owner and that the transition from one owner to another one will be hard.
2. People could not understand what the business is about.
One of the biggest disadvantages of using your blog name after yourself is that people who visit your website for the first time or after a long time or people who have not interacted with your brand yet cannot understand what your blog and business is all about.
For example, here are blog names of popular blogs,
- I will teach you to be rich-This is a popular personal finance blog as we can read. It is related to becoming rich and wealthy through the name of the blog.
- Search engine journal- this is a popular digital marketing blog as we can read from the name of the blog.
- Camper report- this is a popular blog about campers and RVs as we can read through the name.
Whereas there are a few blogs like,
- Adamenfroy- it is a popular digital marketing blog.
- Markmanson- it is a popular self improvement blog.
- Gary vaynerchuk- it is a popular business and entrepreneurship blog.
By reading the blog name or name of the website which is named after your personal name, people cannot easily understand what the website is all about unless they visit and read a couple of articles on your website.
3. Sometimes it can be hard to spell and remember.
This is a big one of bad things about choosing your blog name after yourself.
For example if your name is John or Varun or anything like a easily remembered word then choosing that as your blog name is probably a good idea but if your name is something weird and complex and difficult to keep in mind like,
- Sin Jingkuan
- Koia Bala.
Anything that is hard to remember, spell, type and keep in mind, it is probably a bad idea to choose as the name of the blog.
Because if people who are the audience can’t easily remember, type and spell your name properly and can’t type it without grammar errors while searching for your blog on the internet then it can be a big disadvantage for your business.
If people spell or type even a single letter wrong in your blog name,
it can lead them to the wrong website which is not yours and it can cause a lot of losses in clients and audience for your blog and eventually loss in revenue as well.
So these are all the benefits and drawbacks of using your blog name after yourself.
I think you have got a clear perspective and picture of both the things.
Now let’s see whether or not you should choose your blog name after yourself and what are right situations to decide what.
Should I name my blog after myself? Answered now!
There is yes and no to say,
Let’s take a look at a couple of scenarios where you should choose a blog name after yourself.
You should choose blog name after yourself if,
- You might switch to a different niche and you are unsure if you will continue working in a particular niche for your blog and about the success and potential for that niche you are working currently.
- You don’t have any plans to sell the blog.
- You want to build a strong personal brand and build an influence in the industry.
- Your name is easy to spell and remember and people can easily type the name of your blog without having any grammatical errors while searching your blog on the internet.
- Your industry is highly competitive and You want a little edge from your competitors.
In all of the cases mentioned before you can consider choosing your blog name after yourself without facing any issues whatsoever.
You should avoid using your blog name after yourself if,
- Your name is quite hard to remember and people can have issues while typing your name without having any grammatical errors.
- You might want to sell the blog in future.
- You don’t want to build a personal brand or establish influence in the industry as on your name.
- You have no plans to switch to a different niche, you will stick with a single niche till the success and the end.
In all these cases you can avoid considering your blog name after yourself and choose a specific word that describes your business or blog niche like including a target keyword of your niche in your blog name properly and build a blog as per that.
Hold on, the blog is not completed, YET.
Since you are in the journey of selecting the right name for your blog I would like to share with you a couple of tips and
strategies to come up with the right blog name which can help you immensely in saving the time and energy and get the right name for your blog faster.
So let’s take a look at them.
A few tips to choose the right blog name:
- You can consider including the target keyword of your industry in your blog name to let users know what your website and blog is all about.
- You can use tools like domain name generator and thesaurus to brainstorm different names for your blog.
- If you are running out of Ideas then you can replicate the blog name of your competitors, for example if you are in the SEO industry then you can take examples from search engine journal, search engine land and search engine watch to something your own like search engine guys, you get that.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens and other special characters in your blog name and domain name, it will make your blog name difficult to remember and spell which can hurt your branding and business in the long run.
- Use your domain name as your blog name, I see many people have different blog and domain names, this will create confusion and misinterpretation of your brand, use your domain name as your blog name as the default.
- Whenever you have finalized a domain name for your blog make sure you to check whether you violate any trademark on your blog name like if you want to start a blog about wordpress then you can think of domain names like WP blog but you can’t include wordpress word in the domain name, wordpress word is trademarked to wordpress.org community so you can’t use it for your commercial purpose in blog domain names, you can learn more about it here.
- When deciding a domain name for your blog make sure that you choose name which is evergreen rather than trending one, you can do this by popping in the name for the blog name in the Google trends, avoid trending names in your blog name, trends always change, use evergreen names instead which creates better ROI.
Since you are starting a blog I would highly recommend you to start it with bluehost web hosting service.
I have tried a lot of the hosting services before and tested a lot of them which you can read below
I have found bluehost to be one of the best web hosting services, not just me, even wordpress recommends bluehost to be the top web hosting service for WordPress websites.
They offer hosting plans from 2.95 dollars and they offer a free domain name and SSL certificate along with unlimited websites storage and bandwidth in their hosting plans and guess what they are optimised for Speed and guarantee 99.9% website uptime as well.
They also have a 24/7 fast customer support team.
- You can read my complete honest Bluehost review.
Or you can get started with Bluehost with my Affiliate link below.
Since you are beginners to blogging, allow me to help you guide with your blogging journey to a success with my guides below.
- Advantages and disadvantages of blogging?
- How to start a blog and make money step by step explained?
- How does a blog work and how often should you publish a blog to make money?
- Important blogging mistakes you should avoid to save your time in the blogging business.
- Some crucial tips to become a successful blogger.
- Is blogging really dead, the future explained
You can also consider subscribing to my blog to receive notifications about blogging and online business guides like this in future as i publish such guides frequently on this blog which can add immense value to you in your blogging journey.
With that said let’s conclude the blog post.
These are all the things you need to know in order to come up with the right blog name for your online business.
Do comment down and let me know if you are thinking about naming your blog name after yourself or not.
Share the blog post with your family and friends if you have found it helpful. Sharing is caring.
I will catch you next time till then keep learning and keep growing.
Hi, I am Praneeth Kumar [19 years aged guy] founder and owner of this blog, I am a blogger and an online entrepreneur by passion and a college student in the Arts Education branch, You can learn my story from a college student to a blogger on the about me page.