Hello guys, in this article let’s take a look at and try to understand if coding books are worth it or not in detail.
This is the most comprehensive article you can find online on this topic so I recommend you to bookmark and share the article.
So without any delay let’s get started.
Are coding books worth it?
Honesty speaking to me personally coding books are not worth it anymore simply because there are hundreds of websites and thousands of courses online where you can learn web development machine learning or any specialisation in less than 20 or 30 dollars on platforms like Udemy and you also get support from the creators, money back guarantee and most importantly you can watch those online courses anywhere you want without having to carry a book with yourself all the time, there is nothing wrong with coding books but it is just that there is abundant resources and information about coding present on the Internet that buying a book about coding is not a good investment nowadays.
But before you decide let us take a look at all the advantages and disadvantages of coding books.
Pros and cons of coding books
Pros of coding books
- One of the main advantages of coding books is that you can get the coding books for very cheap price for as low as $10 or thousand rupees instead of spending hundred and thousands of dollars on coding bootcamps and courses
- Another advantage of coding books is that there are plenty of books available for you to buy on both eCommerce website like Amazon and Flipkart from different companies and brands
- Another advantage of reading coding books is that you can read them wherever you want for example you can read a book when you are travelling in a car or in a bus or any other place and you don’t need to worry about any charging of the book as compared to watching coding videos online
- Another advantage of reading coding books is that it is very good for your brain and it is like a mental exercise and it does not cause you any eye pain because you are not giving it the screen of the device for a long period of time when watching coding videos online so this is also big advantage with reading coding books
These are all the advantages of coding books.
Cons of coding books
- One of the main disadvantages of coding books is that it is time consuming to read a book and it also takes a lot of energy to read a book and understand the concept as compared to watching a video on coding and learning any concept of code
- Another disadvantage of coding book is that you won’t get any support from there creator like if you face any problem or bug when you practice your code then you cannot contact the book owner for some support and help as compared to learning coding from online courses like udemy and coding bootcamps where you can get forum and private Facebook group or telegram group for some support and help
- Another disadvantage of a coding book is there are lots of coding books that are not updated with latest technology and their several books which are outdated
These are all the advantages and disadvantages of coding books.
4 Things to know before buying coding books
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of coding books, let’s take a look at what are some important things you need to keep in mind if you are purchasing a coding book.
- Before purchasing the book make sure that you look at the content and whether the book is properly organised or not by looking at the contents of the book online on eCommerce website and make sure that the book is properly organised into different chapters and the book is very easy to read and understand for beginners, it is also easy to skim
- Also look at the reviews and ratings of the book before you purchase the book and also do some research about the author of the book and see what are his credentials of the author who has written the book so you know that you are getting the knowledge from the right person who has knowledge of coding
- You should try to gain the knowledge of concepts from coding books and you should learn technology concepts from online websites that provides free knowledge of coding like this geeks for geeks and free code camp
- Apart from the books you should also look at what are the alternative ways of learning coding like you can also explore different and many free websites online that teach you coding for free like free code camp and w3 schools and you can also explore lots of affordable and high quality courses on udemy and coursera, if you have the budget and money then you can afford both books and courses but if you are tight on budget then you should pick anyone depending upon your convenience and the quality of the product but I would choose a video course over a book because it is most easy to understand and consume for beginners
At the end of the day it does not really matter whether you choose books or videos or coding boot camps, you will only be able to learn programming in real life if you only practice it on your computer or laptop so if you don’t practice coding on your own and don’t work on projects or don’t solve problems yourself then you are not going to learn programming just by reading or watching videos on YouTube or udemy so it is very important for you to practice coding as much as your learning it from other sources like books and videos and you can share your doubts and problems with other developers on forums like reddit and stack overflow but you can only learn coding with practical knowledge and practicing it and working on different projects.
With that said let’s end the article.
These are all the things to know about if coding books are worth it.
Do let me know if you prefer coding books or not in the comments section below.
Share the article and subscribe to my blog.