Hi, I’m Praneeth Kumar guru.
In this blog, you will learn all the reasons why you should and shouldn’t start a food blog in 2021.
So without further ado let’s get started.
Here is a 30000-foot view of the blog post.
What is a food blog?
Food blogging is a type of blogging niche where people talk about any specific field in food industry like recipes or restaurants reviews or exploring the different parts of the world for food,
there are different categories you can write about in a food blog but the majority of them are about food recipes and blogging on this topic is called as a food blog.
Is it worth starting a food blog?
Yes, it is highly worth starting a food blog because, by starting a food blog you can work from anywhere in the world, earn money, be your own boss and follow your passion.
There are cons and reasons who should not start a food blog too.
Here is a quick table on why start a food blog and why not to start a food blog.
|S.no.||Why start a food blog.||Why not start a food blog.|
|1.||You like to take on challenges||You don’t like cooking or writing.|
|2.||Build a community.||You cannot be consistent.|
|3.||Follow your passion, get creative, and live a purposeful life.||You don’t have enough time.|
|4.||Learn some important skills.||You are not open-minded.|
|5.||It is one of the best Blogging niches.||You don’t like risks.|
Let’s see the reasons why start a food blog and then see why not to start a food blog in great detail.
Why start a food blog?
Here are five main reasons why you should start a food blog.
Let’s see a quick overview of the reasons.
- You like to take on challenges.
- Build a community.
- Follow your passion, get creative, and live a purposeful life.
- Learn some important skills.
- It is one of the best Blogging niches.
Let’s see the reasons in detail.
You can take challenges.
One of the main reasons why you should start a food blog is because,
If you like taking challenges in life it is a wonderful opportunity to start a food blog or a blog in general.
While we are discussing the food blog,
By starting a food blog you can take lots of challenges like,
- You can put your writing skills to the test.
- You can try out creating new recipes and learn new skills and share your experiences.
- You can challenge yourself to master your existing cooking skills or create something different with your existing knowledge.
Because the food and cooking industry is doing big and huge,
You will have to confront lots of challenges in this industry and mainly when you’re starting out a blog about it.
You will have to come up with out-of-the-box ideas and recipes and content that can help your audience.
If you like new challenges and opportunities in life, starting a food blog is a wonderful idea.
Build a community.
Another benefit of starting a food blog is,
You can build a community of like-minded individuals who can know you and be aware of your personality from different parts of the world by starting a food blog.
You can build backlinks for your website and meanwhile build valuable connections and networks of other bloggers in your industry.
You can regularly meet and collaborate with them in events and get-togethers.
Meanwhile with starting a food blog,
Of Course, you can drive traffic to your blog through Google and other search engines but you can channel that traffic to other platforms like an email list, to other social media platforms, and grow a loyal audience of your blog.
You can directly interact and engage with your audience from the comments on your blog posts.
The benefits of doing this are,
You don’t have to depend on search engines for traffic in the long term and continue being successful in your industry, other than that,
You can have new friends and colleagues who admire you and with whom you can share your thoughts, ideas, and opinions and get along.
This is a great reason for people who are introverted and like cooking but can’t get along with people, they can easily start a blog and build an audience and new friends they can talk to.
Follow your passion, get creative, and live a purposeful life.
Another benefit of starting a food blog is you can follow your passion,
With the help of blogging, you can work from anywhere and any part of the world.
You can follow your passion for cooking, you can read, write and live the cooking life daily and with the help of starting a food blog,
You can get creative and use your creativity and brainpower to create new and interesting cooking recipes, you can go off the route and come up with out-of-the-box ideas.
By sharing and helping your cooking techniques, recipes, skills, and knowledge with other people worldwide through the help of blog posts as your unique voice,
You can live a highly purposeful life where each blog post and your work can influence and impact people all over the world.
Success in life is truly defined by how many lives and people you have impacted positively and added value in their lives and starting a food blog or any blog, in general, is a wonderful way to achieve such type of success.
Learn some important skills and improve your life.
Even though if you are very good at cooking skills,
Just by starting a food blog where you can discuss your knowledge and recipes with other people worldwide on the internet,
Apart from improving and gaining your cooking skills and knowledge,
You can learn some important skills like the following.
- You can learn some important digital marketing skills like using SEO, social media, and SEM.
- You can learn how to research and write content or improve your skill for the better.
- You can learn photography for taking pics of your recipes which you can include in your blog post and drive traffic from social media platforms like Pinterest and Instagram.
- You can get some important qualities of life like patience and perseverance by starting a food blog because at the end of the day you are blogging and blogging takes time and effort to be successful.
- You can learn networking and communication skills while building your blog and interacting with other Bloggers of your industry.
- You can get better at how you can use time effectively and be more productive in your work.
Well, these are all the skills that you can learn from starting a food blog or any blog in general and all the skills will help you succeed and grow in life as well.
It is one of the best Blogging niches.
The biggest reason why you should start a food blog is that,
Food is the common element of human beings across the globe.
Everyone eats food, whether people buy the food or prepare it by themselves.
Anytime in their life, all the people must have had the question of how these delicious recipes were made,
if they had an internet connection, they must have googled it whether it is a step by step recipe or a quick tip and hack.
So, because Food Industry is so huge and large, there is still a high demand for food blogs that provides unique and high-quality information for people.
Because it is so huge you can definitely make so much money if you get your blog to be successful in this industry.
Many people have this question regarding food blogging is that,
Is food Blogging profitable or not?
My answer is, absolutely yes.
Food blogging is one of the highly profitable niches in the blogging industry.
The reason is simple,
Everybody eats food so at any point in time in people’s lives,
they must have had the thought and incident of making food or anything related to food like visiting restaurants, they can refer to online resources if they don’t know like google search in such cases.
It is that huge and simple to understand that food blogging is a highly profitable industry to start a blog in.
You can make a lot of money through food blogging from the ways like,
- Selling online courses or Digital products where you can teach people how to prepare food like a pro and share your skills and knowledge.
- Selling affiliate products on your website.
- Showing display ads on your website.
- You can post sponsored content on your website from companies and become an influencer to your audience.
- You can attend or host food festivals for other bloggers and audiences.
Food blogging is one of the highly profitable niches in the blogging industry so it makes one of the best blogging niches to start in 2021.
Some popular food bloggers make over hundreds of thousands of dollars every month from their food blog, some examples include are,
- The clean eating couple– Earned more than 150000$ in a year.
- The sassy spoon– Earned over 100000$ a year.
Now let’s have a look at the 5 reasons why you should not start a food blog.
Why not start a food blog?
Here are five main reasons why you shouldn’t start a food blog.
Let’s see a quick overview of the reasons.
- You don’t like cooking or writing.
- You cannot be consistent.
- You don’t have enough time.
- You are not open-minded.
- You don’t like risks.
Let’s see the reasons in detail.
You don’t like cooking or writing.
Believe it or not.
Out of hundred blogs that are created on the Internet.
The majority or I should say, 90% of those blogs will fail for one of the 2 reasons mostly,
- Bloggers who started the blog don’t like the topic.
- Blogger who started the blog is not consistent enough in publishing blogs.
You will learn the second reason in the next thing but let’s talk about the first one.
Even if you start a food blog at the end of the day, it is a blog, isn’t it?
So, you must plant an important idea in your mind that blogging is not a get-rich-quick scheme or any successful idea that can make you millions overnight.
You can find lots of stories and results on the internet where people share their stories of making thousands of dollars blogging in a short span of time and
this is what motivates a large percentage of people who start a blog like a food blog.
You should understand 2 things here,
- Most of those stories are fake.
- Even if those stories are true, you can’t see the other picture of the story which is the work it took, the resources and money he invested, and the luck factor.
While we are talking about Blogging,
Of course, blogging can make you millions of dollars money if you do it the right way,
Because of the fact that blogging is not getting rich quick scheme or you can’t be successful in blogging overnight,
Blogging takes time to be successful like most other businesses. When I refer to “time” it may take up to a year or a year and a half.
In such a case, if you are not interested in what you are writing about in this case, cooking and food-related topics but thinking that You will make money FAST but the fact of the matter is you will simply fail.
You can even be successful in blogging, even if you don’t have much knowledge in the subject as long as you have an interest in the subject but if you don’t have any interest at all and if you don’t outsource content.
When I first started this blog about entrepreneurship and online marketing on this blog, I had zero knowledge about it but I had a lot of interest which helped me succeed.
So having knowledge is not that important when starting a blog but you need to have to be interested in the topic because you will spend a lot of time, researching, learning, and writing content on the niche.
But because the majority of people don’t have an interest in the blogging topic,
You will hardly be able to publish like 5 posts on your blog and you will be done. You will give up.
This is the case with most bloggers on the internet and if you want to start a food blog without having any interest in the subject,
There are high chances of you failing in the business because,
- You are not seeing results fast, you thought blogging can make you Rich overnight which it isn’t.
- You are not at all interested in what you are writing about which makes it hard for you to keep on working on your blog.
So the final learning is,
You should not start a food blog if you do not have an interest and passion in cooking or you don’t like writing blog posts.
Because that is what you have to do 90% of the time when you start a food blog.
You can’t be consistent.
Another reason why most blogs created on the internet fail and why you should not start a blog is you are not consistent enough to publish blog posts.
Of course, quality of content is more important than the quantity of content but that does not mean you publish 5 or 6 blog posts in your starting months and expect to succeed.
You need some good momentum of posts to be published on your website in the initial months especially when you are in niches like food where the competition is so huge.
It is better not to start a food blog if you can’t be consistent enough in any work you start because consistency is what separates a blog to be successful or failing.
You don’t have enough time.
Unlike blogging on other niches like a business and online marketing which I am doing right now on this blog,
Because we are talking about why not to start a food blog,
Believe it or not,
The food niche is one of the highly competitive and saturated markets in the industry which can sometimes be demotivating for beginners.
Because of its demand, a large percentage of people prefer starting a food blog but they don’t realize the fact that it is not that easy to start a food blog compared to blogging on other niches.
In the food blogging industry, there is always a cutthroat fight for attention and traffic because the competition is such.
Food blogs require a lot of presence on social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
That is where you can drive a large amount of traffic and visibility to your website other than SEO.
It is better not to start a food if you are planning to start one but if you are doing some job because,
Unlike Blogging on other niches in food blogs you need to put extra effort,
apart from trying new recipes and creating content that is unique and different from your competition to make your blog stand out which can also be a time-consuming task by the way.
You need to take beautiful images of those recipes, edit them beautifully in software like Photoshop and upload them on social media sites, and engage with users through comments because,
Beautiful and attractive images of recipes are what attracts people to visit and read the food blogs over,
video content of those recipes because of that all the top bloggers in the food industry have beautiful images of recipes in their blog posts.
If you can outsource the work then it is fine but when you are starting out in your project,
it is hard for the majority of people to invest such a high amount of money in outsourcing the tasks because you don’t know whether it will work out well or not due to the competition in the industry.
So, you should not start a food blog if you can’t invest a good chunk of time in your project because food blogs are more of an active process compared to blogging on other niches as they depend on social media and images more.
You are not open-minded.
Another reason why you should not start a food blog is that,
Either you are not an open-minded person or you are not willing to invest money into the business.
Treat your food blog as an online business, not as a hobby project.
Because food blogging is an online business, before expecting to make money, it is highly advised to invest money in the business.
You should invest money in the right tools and services like,
- Canva for editing, scheduling, and publishing your social media posts.
- Tailwind tribes for scheduling your Pinterest pins.
- Invest money in good quality camera to take images of your recipes for your blog and publishing on social media.
- Website hosting and domain name so that you can start a blog on WordPress and create a professional-looking website from day1 instead of choosing a free blog platform.
- Take online courses and learn SEO and other skills like using Pinterest to grow your online business.
- Not being able to take and handle criticism from your audience about your work on your blog and on social media.
- Learning from not just your own mistakes but from the mistakes of others.
It is highly advised not to start a food blog or any blog in general if you are not someone who is open-minded and willing to invest money and time in learning things before expecting to see some results.
You don’t like risks.
This is the last reason why you should not start a food blog.
If you are someone who doesn’t like to take risks or who is afraid of taking risks.
Please either change your mindset or don’t start this project.
By starting a food blog, you are actually putting a lot of things at risk like,
- Food Blogging is lonely, most bloggers work alone experimenting with new recipes and creating content and there is a risk of losing existing friends and relatives because they don’t understand your work.
- Food Blogging is a highly competitive market and there is always a risk of losing money and time because you are actually starting an online business in a highly competitive niche and most blogs and businesses fail.
- In Food blogging, you should be creative and consistent in working on your blog which can compromise your comfort zone.
These are all the 10 reasons why you should and should not start a food blog.
With that said let’s conclude the blog post.
There you go I have answered all the reasons why you should and shouldn’t start a food blog.
Do comment down what you think about the blog post in the comments section below.
Share the blog post with your family and friends if you have found it helpful.
Sharing is caring.
Read my other blogs,
- How to start a blog on WordPress?
- Why WordPress is the best for your blogging journey?
- Best website hosting for blogging and startups.
I will catch you next time till then,
keep learning and keep growing.
Hi, I am Praneeth Kumar [19 years aged guy] founder and owner of this blog, I am a blogger and an online entrepreneur by passion and a college student in the Arts Education branch, You can learn my story from a college student to a blogger on the about me page.